A unit of Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry (PPCLI) named the 2nd Battalion was formed in June 1945 for purposes of recruiting and training for warfare in the Pacific Theatre. It disbanded after the conclusion of the war in October 1945. The 2nd Battalion (known as 2PPCLI, 2 PPCLI, 2VP, or 2 VP) was formed again in August 1950 as part of the Canadian Army Special Force raised by Canada to serve under the banner of the United Nations in the war against North Korea. Recruiting and training began at various training centres across the country and in November 1950 2PPCLI moved to Fort Lewis, a large US Army training base in northwestern Washington State. On November 25, 1950 the Battalion sailed for Korea aboard the USS Private Joe P. Martinez arriving in Pusan, Korea on 18 December. On 17 February 1951 the Battalion faced the enemy for the first time and was awarded the United States Presidential Unit Citation for their stand against the Chinese Army at KapYong 24-25 April 1951. The Battalion spent a year in Korea before returning to Canada in November 1951. Following the Korean War 2PPCLI was retained on strength and for the next two years it took on the airborne role while the 1st Battalion rotated into Korea. The 2nd Battalion saw service in Germany in 1953-1955, 1966-1970 and 1984-1988. 2PPCLI served 6 month peacekeeping tours in Cyprus in 1972-1973, 1976, 1982-1983 and 1990 and in the Balkans in 1993, 1997, 2000-2001 and 2003. In 2002 it received the Commander In Chief Unit Commendation from Governor General Clarkson for courage under fire in the Medak Pocket, Croatia in 1993. Headquartered at Kapyong Barracks in Winnipeg, in 2004 it relocated to Canadian Forces Base Shilo, Manitoba. During the Afghanistan War, units of the battalion were deployed in 2002, 2006-2007, 2008, and 2011.