Soon after its repatriation to Canada in 1919, Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry (PPCLI) began to maintain a collection of its important artifacts and pictures in the custody of its Commanding Officer. In September 1953, the PPCLI Regimental Museum was established at Camp Wainwright, Alberta, and its official opening was on 13 May, 1954. The Museum's principal functions then were to preserve the traditions and history of the Regiment and contribute to the education of recruits. On 13 September 1953 the PPCLI Association was incorporated and took over the governance of the Museum. The Association, which was legally empowered to accept charitable donations, held the collection in trust for the Regiment and the people of Canada. The Regimental Adjutant acted as Curator of the Museum, assisted by serving members of the Regiment and volunteers from the Association. The Museum's operations were financially supported by the Hamilton Gault Memorial Fund, which was established by the Association. From Wainwright , the Museum followed the Regimental Home Station to Edmonton in 1957 and eventually to Currie Barracks in Calgary in 1968. In 1989 the Museum joined forces with three other regimental museums to form the Museum of the Regiments (later named The Military Museums) at 4520 Crowchild Trail SW in Calgary. In 1994 legal ownership of the collections was transferred to the Regiment. From 1996 to 2006 the Museum and Archives was managed by a civilian curator/archivist; subsequently, it was managed by a serving member of the Regiment appointed by the Regimental Adjutant.