Showing 511 results

Geauthoriseerde beschrijving

Fort MacLeod photo studio

  • ppcli
  • Instelling
  • fl.1952-1957

Fort MacLeod, located in the town of Hemer, North Rhine-Westphalia, West Germany, was a base for Canadian infantry forces in Europe from 1953 to 1970. It was named after the historic Fort Macleod in Alberta. It was the home of the 2nd Battalion, Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry (2PPCLI) from 1953 to 1955 and of the 1st Battalion (1PPCLI) from 1955 to 1957. During that time, a German photo studio documented the PPCLI's parades, mess dinners, family parties, and visits of distinguished guests. Photos of these events were compiled into albums, which were presented to the battalions. A numbering system made it possible for individual members of PPCLI to order photos for their personal collections. The name of the photo studio or of the individual photographer has not been identified.

Irwin, William Eric C.

  • ppcli
  • Persoon
  • 1890-1963

William Eric C. Irwin was born 24 January 1890 in Ottawa, the fourth child of Lieutenant Colonel De La Cherois Thomas Irwin, Inspector General of the Royal Canadian Artillery and Isabella Hamilton. He was a graduate of McGill University in Electrical Engineering and joined the 1st University Company in February 1915. He trained at Niagara-On-The-Lake and sailed for England on the SS Northland with the 1st Reinforcing Draft of the 38th Battalion in May 1915. He was taken on strength with the Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry as a Lieutenant 26 July 1915. He was wounded in both legs 2 June 1916 at the Battle of Mount Sorrel and mentioned in dispatches. He was hospitalized at Newcastle and Ramsgate, England and returned to Canada 7 December 1916. After receiving an operation on his leg at Montreal General Hospital he was posted to the Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry Depot in Ottawa and promoted to Major 15 June 1917. In November 1917 he returned to England as part of a reinforcement draft. Returning to Canada in February 1918 he was assigned duties at Army Headquarters, becoming Chief of General Staff in Ottawa and had his leg operated on again in August 1918 in Toronto. After recovering he acted as Aide-de-Camp for the Duke of Devonshire during his tour of the Maritimes in December 1918. He was released sometime in early 1919. He died in 1963 in Toronto.

Lock, W. A.

  • ppcli
  • Persoon
  • d. 2008

B801995 W. A. "Bill" Lock enlisted with the Third Battalion Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry in January 1951. He transferred to the First Battalion sometime prior to its embarkation for Korea in November 1951. He retired with the rank of sergeant. He died in 2008 in Nelson, BC.

Judge, Patrick Owen

  • ppcli
  • Persoon
  • b. 1950

Patrick Owen "Pat" Judge was born in 1950. His home town was Brantford, Ontario. Around 1969 he joined the Canadian Armed Forces, and completed his recruit training in February 1970 at CFB Cornwallis in Nova Scotia. He joined the Mortar Platoon of the 1st Battalion of Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry (PPCLI), where he remained for his entire military career. He was promoted to Corporal by 1975; to Master Corporal in 1977; to Sergeant in 1983, and to Warrant Officer in 1989. He was posted to Cyprus in 1971, 1978, 1984, and 1991; to West Germany in 1977-1978; and undertook cold weather training in Norway in 1975-1976 and in Alaska in 1983. He was assigned to security detail at the 1976 Olympic Games in Montreal. In 1983 he participated in a training expedition up the Nahanni River in the Northwest Territories, and was commended for participating in the rescue of two civilian canoeists. In 1986 he qualified as a small arms instructor. From 1986 to 1990 he was attached to a reserve unit, the North Saskatchewan Regiment located in Prince Albert, Saskatchewan. He worked in the PPCLI Regimental Museum and Archives, ca. 1990-ca. 1993 and served as Range Control Unit Warrant Officer at CFB Wainwright. He retired from the Canadian Armed Forces in 1995. He was married to Carolyn Judge. In 2006 he was living in Arborg, Manitoba.

Smith, George Fraser

  • ppcli
  • Persoon
  • 1920-2004

George Fraser "Smitty" Smith was born in Montreal in 1920. From 1939 to 1945 he served in the Hastings and Prince Edward Regiment, which saw action in Sicily, Italy, and Northwest Europe with the 1st Canadian Infantry Brigade. In 1950 he joined the 2nd Battalion of Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry (2PPCLI) and saw action in Korea. He continued to serve with 2PPCLI in West Germany and in Canada. In the 1960s he transferred to the Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, and in 1970 he retired from the Canadian Armed Forces. In retirement he was active in the Korea Veterans Association of Canada and the PPCLI Association. He volunteered in the PPCLI Regimental Museum and Archives. He was married to Audrey Smith, and they had 3 children, Bob, Ken, and Heather. He died in Calgary in 2004.

Schjelderup, Vilhelm Roger and Ida

  • ppcli
  • Familie
  • 1921-

Vilhelm Roger Schjelderup was born to Norwegian parents in Smithers, British Columbia in September 1921 and grew up in Courtenay, British Columbia. He was commissioned into the Canadian Army in 1941 and following training was posted to Second Battalion, The Canadian Scottish Regiment (Princess Mary's). He was wounded in France shortly after the Normandy landings in June 1944 and received the Military Cross. Promoted to Captain he rejoined his Regiment a month later and was wounded again and taken prisoner at the Scheldt Estuary. Leading a group of five POWs he escaped from Germany to Holland and worked with the Dutch Resistance for four months. He eventually reached Allied lines in February 1945. He received a bar to his Military Cross for his work with the Dutch Resistance and the Distinguished Service Order for gallantry during operations on the Leopold Canal. Upon his return to Canada he served with the Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry as a Company Commander at Camp Shilo in 1946. He did not serve in Korea but instead attended the Royal Military College of Science in England from October 1949 to October 1951 and then went on to Military Staff College from 1951 to November 1954. Promoted to Lieutenant Colonel in 1954 he established the Joint Atomic, Bacteriological and Chemical Defensive School of Warfare at Camp Borden and served as its first Commanding Officer. In 1957 he qualified as a parachutist before taking command of the Second Battalion, Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry from 12 August 1957 until 10 May 1960. Promoted to Colonel in 1962, Schjelderup again held a variety of staff appointments in the 1960s and 1970's including postings to Manitoba Area Headquarters, Ghana, Canadian Forces Headquarters, 1 Combat Group, Command of CFB, Calgary and as part of the Canadian Defence Liaison Staff (London) in 1973. He passed away 29 September 1974. Colonel Schjeldrup was married to Ida Hundevad in 1949 or 1950. Schjelderup Lake near Courtenay, BC is named after him. After Roger's death, Ida Schjelderup lived in the village of Herstmonceux, East Sussex, England. She was a personal friend of Hamilton and Dorothy Gault, Lady Patricia Ramsay (Princess Patricia), and Countess Mountbatten of Burma (Lady Patricia Brabourne). She was an active member of the United Kingdom Branch of the PPCLI Association.

Hradec, Tom

  • ppcli
  • Persoon
  • 1944-

Thomas F. Hradec was born 6 January 1944 at Victoria, British Columbia. Raised in Prince Albert, Saskatchewan he worked in the nickel mines of Thompson, Manitoba, and for a short time with Burns and Co. in Prince Albert. Tom joined the Canadian Army on 02 August 1962 and was enlisted in the ranks of the First Battalion, Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry after completion of Basic Training (the first and second phases were completed in Edmonton, Alberta and the third and final phase was conducted in Calgary, Alberta). He was posted in March 1963 to Victoria, British Columbia and then to Germany in the fall of 1963. Private Hradec remained in Germany until he was posted to Edmonton, Alberta, in the fall of 1966. While in Edmonton, he was posted to Jump Company after completing his (parachute) Jump Course in Rivers, Manitoba, that same year. In the spring of 1967 he was attached to the Alberta Centennial tour under the command of Major de Chastelain and was one of the main soldiers involved with the unarmed combat display. In the Fall of 1967 Private Hradec was on the Junior NCO's course conducted in Sarcee Barracks (Calgary, Alberta). Shortly after the completion of this course he was promoted to the rank of Corporal. In the spring of 1968 Corporal Hradec was posted with the First Battalion to Cyprus. While in Cyprus he served on three different outposts, Stampede Corral, Saddle and Templose. He returned to Canada in October 1968 and was posted to Calgary. In October 1969 Corporal Hradec was posted to Germany with the Second Battalion, Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry. In 1971 the Second Battalion Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry and the Royal Canadian Regiment formed the Third Mechanized Commando Unit, stationed in Baden Baden, southern Germany. Tom was promoted to Master Corporal in 1972. In the fall of 1974 M/Cpl. Hradec was posted back to Canada to the First Battalion, Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry stationed in Calgary. On the 15th of September 1975 he was honourably discharged from the Canadian Armed Forces. Since his release from the Canadian Armed Forces Tom was with the Alberta Correctional Services until he retired in 2002. He was National President of the Canadian Association of Veterans in United nations Peacekeeping in the 2000s, and was awarded the Minister of Veterans Affairs Commendation in 2008. In 2016 he was living near Moyie, BC.

Resultaten 61 tot 70 van 511