Mostrando 511 resultados

Registro de autoridad

Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry. Kit Shop

  • ppcli
  • Entidad colectiva
  • [ca. 1960]-2015

The Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry Kit Shop (or Kitshop) has operated since at least the 1960s. It is a retail business operating under the management of PPCLI Regimental Headquarters. It sells clothing and equipment required by soldiers but not officially issued, such as athletic wear, knives, boots, and camping supplies. It also sells souvenir items such as jewelry, baseball caps, and water bottles.

Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry. Band

  • ppcli
  • Entidad colectiva
  • 1914-1994

Princess Patricia’s Canadian Light Infantry had two bands during the First World War. The Edmonton Pipe Band joined as a unit in August 1914. Pipers played men over the top and then followed as stretcher-bearers. The core of the PPCLI Brass and Reed Band was formed when eligible members of The St. Mary’s Boys Brigade Band joined the 140th New Brunswick Battalion in January 1916. When the 140th was broken up in November 1917, the entire Band joined the PPCLI in the field. Bandmaster (Lance Sergeant) Charles H. Williams was wounded in the front lines near Tilloy, France 28 September 1918 and later died. His brother, Sergeant Harold H. (Pete) Williams took over as Bandmaster for the duration of the war. Both bands provided music during route marches, burials and rest periods. The PPCLI Band performed one of its last official duties on 27 February 1919 when they played at Princess Patricia’s wedding. When the Permanent Force was established in 1919, the PPCLI Military Band was reformed. Under the guidance of Captain Tommy James, it was stationed at Fort Osborne Barracks in Winnipeg during the 1920s and 30s. It played as many as 50 free concerts a year and was broadcast across Canada. In ca.1935 the PPCLI Bugle Band was formed and then a Dance Band was formed ca.1937. When Captain James retired in 1939, Warrant Officer Al Streeter took over as Director of Music. After the outbreak of Second World War, 15 younger members of the PPCLI Military Band volunteered for active duty and it was disbanded late in 1939. Warrant Officer Streeter arrived in England in 1941 to lead the 1st Canadian Divisional Band, which was largely made up of former PPCLI Bandsmen. The PPCLI Band was reactivated after the war and was established at Wainwright, Alberta. Enlistment was slow and recruitment took place in England and Holland. In 1951, the Band numbered 20 members, but by late 1953 it reached its authorized strength of 55 musicians. It performed in marching formation for ceremonies, and also as a stage band. it recorded a number of commercial albums. Due to budget cuts in 1994, the Concert Band was officially disbanded and reduced to a Corps of Drums.

Operation Deliverance

  • ppcli
  • Entidad colectiva
  • 1992-1993

The Canadian Airborne Regiment was established in 1968. It was organized into units of paratroopers from the three Canadian permanent infantry regiments. 2 Commando (2 Cdo) consisted mostly of members of Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry (PPCLI). On 4 September, 1992 the Canadian Airborne was tasked with participating in a peacekeeping and humanitarian effort known as Operation Deliverance in Somalia, which was suffering from a famine as well as a civil war leading to the breakdown of all political authority. 2 Commando was assigned to take a vanguard role in the Canadian Airborne Regiment Brigade Group. In December 1992 the Brigade Group arrived in Somalia, and was tasked with securing the airfield, and restoring civil order in the town of Belet Uen. It did succeed in securing the airfield, providing security and coordination for non-government organization humanitarian efforts, re-establishing the local police force, and convening meetings of tribal leaders with the objective of re-establishing a local civilian government. These achievements were overshadowed in the Canadian public view by an unfortunate incident. One of the problems the Brigade Group encountered was the theft of their supplies by youths from the town. On 16 March, 1993, one such youth, Shidane Arone, was arrested, tortured, and killed by a security patrol. The Canadian Airborne returned to Canada by 26 July, 1993. Two of Arone's captors and their immediate commanding officer were court-martialled and sentenced to prison terms and dismissal from the Canadian Armed Forces in March-April 1994. Media reports suggested that 2 Commando was permeated with members of racist organizations. The Canadian Airborne Regiment was disbanded on 1 September 1995. 2 Commando was re-integrated into the PPCLI as the Princess Patricia's Parachute Company in a ceremony on 25 September 1995.

Canada. Armed Forces. Canadian Airborne Regiment.

  • ppcli
  • Entidad colectiva
  • 1968-1995

The Canadian Airborne Regiment was established in 1968. It was organized into units of paratroopers from the three Canadian permanent infantry regiments. It was disbanded on 1 September 1995.

Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry Regimental Museum and Archives

  • ppcli
  • Entidad colectiva
  • 1953-

Soon after its repatriation to Canada in 1919, Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry (PPCLI) began to maintain a collection of its important artifacts and pictures in the custody of its Commanding Officer. In September 1953, the PPCLI Regimental Museum was established at Camp Wainwright, Alberta, and its official opening was on 13 May, 1954. The Museum's principal functions then were to preserve the traditions and history of the Regiment and contribute to the education of recruits. On 13 September 1953 the PPCLI Association was incorporated and took over the governance of the Museum. The Association, which was legally empowered to accept charitable donations, held the collection in trust for the Regiment and the people of Canada. The Regimental Adjutant acted as Curator of the Museum, assisted by serving members of the Regiment and volunteers from the Association. The Museum's operations were financially supported by the Hamilton Gault Memorial Fund, which was established by the Association. From Wainwright , the Museum followed the Regimental Home Station to Edmonton in 1957 and eventually to Currie Barracks in Calgary in 1968. In 1989 the Museum joined forces with three other regimental museums to form the Museum of the Regiments (later named The Military Museums) at 4520 Crowchild Trail SW in Calgary. In 1994 legal ownership of the collections was transferred to the Regiment. From 1996 to 2006 the Museum and Archives was managed by a civilian curator/archivist; subsequently, it was managed by a serving member of the Regiment appointed by the Regimental Adjutant.

Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry. Regimental Guard

  • ppcli
  • Entidad colectiva
  • 1977-

The Regimental Guard of Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry (PPCLI) was established in the fall of 1977, as a result of the development of a new regimental Constitution by the Regimental Executive Committee. The Guard held its first meeting on December 10, 1977. It consisted of senior officers, serving or retired, of the rank of Lieutenant-Colonel or higher, and a representative of the PPCLI Association. Its functions were to formulate the policies of the Regiment, develop and review long-range planning, and initiate special projects. It generally meets semi-annually.

Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry. Regimental Senate

  • ppcli
  • Entidad colectiva
  • 1977-2000

The Regimental Senate of Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry (PPCLI) was established as part of the 1977 revision of the regimental constitution. It consisted of PPCLI officers, active and retired, of the rank of Lieutenant-Colonel and higher; representatives of the PPCLI Association; and distinguished persons nominated by the Regimental Guard or the Regimental Senate. It was expected to meet at least annually, but was not required to record minutes. Its role was to provide advice to the Colonel of the Regiment. There is no evidence that the Senate ever actually met, and it became essentially an honorary body. It ceased to be active after 1986 but a nominal roll of its members was compiled at least as recently as 2000.

Fort MacLeod photo studio

  • ppcli
  • Entidad colectiva
  • fl.1952-1957

Fort MacLeod, located in the town of Hemer, North Rhine-Westphalia, West Germany, was a base for Canadian infantry forces in Europe from 1953 to 1970. It was named after the historic Fort Macleod in Alberta. It was the home of the 2nd Battalion, Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry (2PPCLI) from 1953 to 1955 and of the 1st Battalion (1PPCLI) from 1955 to 1957. During that time, a German photo studio documented the PPCLI's parades, mess dinners, family parties, and visits of distinguished guests. Photos of these events were compiled into albums, which were presented to the battalions. A numbering system made it possible for individual members of PPCLI to order photos for their personal collections. The name of the photo studio or of the individual photographer has not been identified.

Resultados 51 a 60 de 511