Mostrando 511 resultados

Registro de autoridad

John Henry Richardson

  • Fonds 19
  • Persona
  • 1927-2008

John Henry Richardson, DCM, CD, was born in Victoria, BC on April 30, 1927 and died in Calgary, Alberta on December 26, 2008. His service number was SK12487. Chief Warrant Officer Richardson served in the Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry in Canada, Korea, continental Europe and Cyprus from May 16, 1945 to January 20, 1973, retiring as a Regimental Sergeant Major. John served in the RCMP for eight years as a Special Constable. He subsequently worked with the Alberta Forestry Service. John was a member of the PPCLI Association, Korea Veterans Association, RCMP Veterans Association, and the Royal Canadian Legion. He served as a paratrooper and jump instructor, was wounded in Korea in October 1952 and was awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal. He also served as Regimental Sergeant Major of the Canadian contingent in Cyprus in 1971 and was active in the PPCLI Association until his passing. He returned to Korea in 1983 and again in 1997, and supported efforts to have the government honour Korean veterans through memorials. John was survived by his sister Dr. Mary H. Richardson of Thunder Bay, ON.

United Nations Iraq-Kuwait Observervation Mission. Canadian Contingent

  • PPCLI
  • Entidad colectiva
  • 1991-2003

The United Nations Iraq-Kuwait Observation Mission (UNIKOM) was established by the UN Security Council at the end of the Gulf War on April 9, 1991. It was composed of unarmed infantry officers from 42 UN nations. Its purpose was to patrol the demilitarized zone along the Iraq-Kuwait border, deter border violations, and report any hostile action. In 1993 its role was extended to include a peacekeeping force of one infantry battalion from Bangladesh. Its mandate was completed on October 6, 2003. The Canadian contingent of the mission consisted of 4 officers, including Maj Joe Pollock and Capt Bill Lewis, who were Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry (PPCLI) members.

Tucker, Lloyd

  • ppcli
  • Persona
  • fl. 1940-2000

Lloyd Tucker was a sergeant in the 48th Highlanders of Canada. In 2000 he was a volunteer with the 48th Highlanders Museum in Toronto.

Cosford, Lorne

  • ppcli
  • Persona
  • d. 1988

L 104095 Lorne L. Cosford joined the Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry 28 October 1944 as a Private. Promoted to Lance Corporal he was wounded 16 December 1944 in Italy. He was Struck Off Strength 17 June 1945 but re-enlisted with the Lord Strathcona's Horse (Royal Canadians) after the Second World War. In February 1947 he was a part of the Haines, Alaska Cut Off Expedition, which included 5 members of the Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry, to establish a supply transportation route from Whitehorse, Yukon through the Haines Cut Off Pass into Haines, Alaska. He died on December 2, 1988 and was survived by his wife Dagmar Cosford of Arborg, Manitoba.

Levy, Mike

  • ppcli
  • Persona
  • 1925-2007

Mike Levy, 1925-2007, was born in Bombay, India.and raised in Shanghai, China. At the onset of the Second World War he was interned at Lunghwa, a Japanese internment camp. In 1944 he escaped, joined the Special Operations Executive, a British commando group, and was engaged in guerrilla warfare in Malaya. After the war he settled in Vancouver, BC, married, and opened a restaurant. During the Korean War he was a Lieutenant commanding the 10th Platoon, D Company, Second Battalion, Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry in Korea, and participated in the Battle of KapYong, 24-25 April 1951. He remained with the PPCLI during peacetime assignments in Germany, Vietnam, Cyprus, and the United States, retiring with the rank of Major. He was married to Marjorie Levy, and they had four children, Michael Guy, Don Garry, Linda Gay, and Paul Garth.

Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry. Regimental Headquarters

  • ppcli
  • Entidad colectiva
  • 1968-

In peacetime, Regimental Headquarters, known by its abbreviation RHQ, is the administrative branch of the Regiment. Since 1953 this unit has been staffed by the Regimental Major, the Regimental Adjutant, the Regimental Warrant Officer and any number of non-commissioned officer clerks who manage the Regiment's finances, special events and parades, visiting dignitaries, retirements, the Regimental Kit Shop, officer indoctrination, regimental publications including the Patrician, and the Regimental Museum and Archives. Regimental Headquarters functions as the secretariat for the Regiment's governing bodies, the Regimental Executive Committee (REC) and the Regimental Guard. It administers Exercise Ric-A-Dam-Doo, a biennial conference of PPCLI officers. The Regimental Kit Shop is a not for profit business which offers for sale accoutrements, memorabilia, books on Regimental history, special gear and Regimental clothing that is not provided to the soldiers by the Department of National Defence. Monies generated by the Kit Shop are transferred to the Hamilton Gault Memorial Fund where they are then distributed for charitable activities including the Regimental Museum and Archives and the Hamilton Gault Memorial Park. Following the First World War the Regiment was stationed at Stanley Barracks in Toronto and then moved to Long Branch Camp outside of the city. In 1920 the Regiment moved to Tecumseh Barracks in London, Ontario and then to Fort Osborne Barracks in Winnipeg, Manitoba. After the Second World War the Regiment spent seven months at Camp McDonald near Portage La Prairie before finally moving to Currie Barracks, Calgary, Alberta in 1946. In June 1953 the Regimental Depot was established at Currie Barracks and the Regimental Museum and the Kit Shop were established shortly thereafter as adjuncts to the Depot. The Depot acted as Regimental Headquarters, assuming responsibility for receiving, equipping and training men for both the First and Second Battalions. The Depot was also responsible for the administration and accounting of Regimental funds and property and other basic Regimental business. The Recruit Program comprised of 17 weeks of basic training and classes were on-going with new recruits graduating each year. In 11 January 1956 the Depot moved to Edmonton, first to the Prince of Wales Armouries and then moved again to a new base at Griesbach in Edmonton, which was renamed Hamilton Gault Barracks in honour of the Regimental Founder. As part of the unification of the Armed Forces, on 31 October 1968 the training function of the Depot was established as the Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry Battle School. The administrative function became Regimental Headquarters, established as a separate increment attached to the First Battalion located at a new Home Station at Currie Barracks in Calgary, Alberta. Regimental Headquarters remained at Currie Barracks until 1990 when it moved with the Kit Shop across the street to the Museum of the Regiments. In 1997 Regimental Headquarters along with the First and Third Battalions moved to a new Home Station at Edmonton Garrison, formerly known as Namao Air Force Base.

McArthur, Ralph Edward

  • ppcli
  • Persona
  • 1931-2000

Born 15 June 1931, SH 877 Ralph Edward McArthur enlisted 20 October 1952 and joined the Second Battalion Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry 31 October 1952. He transferred to the First Battalion Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry 18 May 1953. Arriving in Korea 26 May 1953 he was transferred to the Third Battalion 15 June 1953 and then to Canadian Infantry Brigade Headquarters following the Ceasefire in July 1953. Upon returning to Canada in May 1954 he was attached to the First Battalion, Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry and attended the Canadian Army Jump Training Centre in Rivers Manitoba where he completed his jump course in September 1954. Transferred to the Royal Canadian Airforce 25 November 1954. Mr. McArthur died in 2000.

Gullion, Scott

  • ppcli
  • Persona
  • fl. 1986-1995

A12 461 129 Scott Gullion joined the Loyal Edmonton Regiment 2 July 1986 and served with the Third Battalion Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry in Croatia on ROTO 1 + 4, Operation Harmony in 1992/1993. He was on the Dz, Lz, E2 Course at Wainwright in July 1993 and was released from service 4 July 1995.

Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry. 3rd Battalion

  • ppcli
  • Entidad colectiva
  • 1950-

The 3rd Battalion of Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry, also known as 3PPCLI, 3 PPCLI, 3VP, and 3 VP, was formed 30 November 1950 as part of the Special Force raised for active service in Korea. The Battalion trained in Wainwright, Camp Borden and Ipperwash, Ontario. It provided reinforcements for both the 1st and 2nd Battalions during their tours in Korea before relieving the 1st Battalion in Korea 11 November 1952. The Battalion fought on "The Hook" and Hill 355 "Little Gibraltar" until ceasefire was read 27 July 1953. The Battalion then moved to Naenjong in the Demilitarized Zone and manned check points there until relieved by the Black Watch in October 1953. The 3rd Battalion was reduced to nil strength on January 8, 1954. It was reformed in April 1970 supplemented by members of the Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, many of whom rebadged with the Princess Patricia's after their regiment was reduced to one reserve battalion. The 3rd Battalion was presented Colours on 20 November 1971 by the Governor General of Canada and new Colours on March 9, 1993 by the Colonel-In-Chief, the Countess Mountbatten of Burma. The new Colours were presented in Pacrac, Croatia, the first time that a Canadian Unit was presented with consecrated Colours in an operational theatre during hostilities. The 3rd Battalion was stationed at Work Point Barracks, Esquimalt, British Columbia until 1994 when it moved to Chilliwack, British Columbia, then Griesbach Barracks, Edmonton and then finally to Edmonton Garrison (Namao) in 1997. It served 6 month Peacekeeping tours in Cyprus in 1970-1971, 1975-1976, 1980 and 1988 and in Croatia in 1992-1993. As part of NATO, A and B Companies served in Bosnia between January 1997 and January 1998 and on the United Nations Security Force (SFOR) between February and September 2000. As part of the Afghanistan War, members of the 3rd Battalion served in battle groups in Kandahar and Helmand provinces and in the city of Kabul from 2002 until 2014.

Kennedy, Vince W.

  • ppcli
  • Persona
  • 1948-

Vince W. Kennedy, b. 3 October 1948, joined the Royal Winnipeg Rifles (Canadian Militia) in 1964 and enlisted with the Regular Army in 1967. He attended Royal Roads Military College in Victoria, British Columbia and the Royal Military College in Kingston, Ontario, graduating in 1971 with a Bachelor Degree in International Studies. He was commissioned into the Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry in 1971 and served as a subaltern in the Third Battalion in Esquimalt, British Columbia. From there he was posted to #3 Canadian Mechanized Commando in Germany and served as the Adjutant, now a Captain, at the Infantry School, Combat Training Centre, Gagetown, New Brunswick in 1978. He also attended the Canadian Land Forces Command Staff College in Kingston and the British Combat Team Commander's Course in the United Kingdom. Promoted to Lieutenant Colonel in 1979 he took command of A Company, Third Battalion, Royal Green Jackets in Oakington, UK where he was promoted to Major and went to Cyprus in 1980 as part of the British contingent in UNFICYP (United Nations Forces in Cyprus). He returned to Canada in 1981 and the Canadian Forces Command Staff College in Toronto. In 1982 he commanded B Company, Second Battalion, Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry and went with the Battalion to Cyprus in 1982 until 1983 when he was transferred to Admin Company. When the Second Battalion left for Germany in 1984 Major Kennedy organized the Farewell to Winnipeg Tattoo. He was promoted to Lieutenant Colonel in 1985 and assumed the duties of Senior Staff Officer Individual Training at Mobile Command Headquarters. Lieutenant Colonel Kennedy was then posted to Army Staff College at Frontenac, Kingston in 1986 as a member of the Directing Staff until 15 July 1987, when he took command of the First Battalion, Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry until 16 August 1989 at the end of the 75th Anniversary National Reunion of the PPCLI. Lt. Col. Kennedy then went "under" to the Australian Army Command and Staff College, Fort Queenscliffe, Victoria, as a member of the Directing Staff until January 1991, when he attended the Joint Services Staff College in Canberra, Australia, and earned a Graduate Diploma in Strategic Studies. He returned to Canada in July 1991 to take up the duties of Senior Staff Officer Operations and Plans at Mobile Command Headquarters during a hectic time in army force generation for Croatia, Bosnia, Cambodia and Somalia. He was promoted to Colonel in January 1993 and posted as Chief of Staff, 1st Canadian Division Headquarters. After 3½ years of active training and contingency work there, he proceeded as a student to the US Army War College, Carlisle, PA. He took up the position as Chief of Staff, Canadian Forces College Toronto, upon return to Canada in 1997. He was promoted to Brigadier-General and took up his duties in Ottawa in 2000. In 2003, after 38 years of service, BGen Kennedy retired and continued to live in Ontario with his wife Wendy. He continued to be involved in the PPCLI regimental family, as a member of the Regimental Guard and the PPCLI Association.

Resultados 1 a 10 de 511