Mostrar 511 resultados

Registro de autoridade

Operation Deliverance

  • ppcli
  • Entidade coletiva
  • 1992-1993

The Canadian Airborne Regiment was established in 1968. It was organized into units of paratroopers from the three Canadian permanent infantry regiments. 2 Commando (2 Cdo) consisted mostly of members of Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry (PPCLI). On 4 September, 1992 the Canadian Airborne was tasked with participating in a peacekeeping and humanitarian effort known as Operation Deliverance in Somalia, which was suffering from a famine as well as a civil war leading to the breakdown of all political authority. 2 Commando was assigned to take a vanguard role in the Canadian Airborne Regiment Brigade Group. In December 1992 the Brigade Group arrived in Somalia, and was tasked with securing the airfield, and restoring civil order in the town of Belet Uen. It did succeed in securing the airfield, providing security and coordination for non-government organization humanitarian efforts, re-establishing the local police force, and convening meetings of tribal leaders with the objective of re-establishing a local civilian government. These achievements were overshadowed in the Canadian public view by an unfortunate incident. One of the problems the Brigade Group encountered was the theft of their supplies by youths from the town. On 16 March, 1993, one such youth, Shidane Arone, was arrested, tortured, and killed by a security patrol. The Canadian Airborne returned to Canada by 26 July, 1993. Two of Arone's captors and their immediate commanding officer were court-martialled and sentenced to prison terms and dismissal from the Canadian Armed Forces in March-April 1994. Media reports suggested that 2 Commando was permeated with members of racist organizations. The Canadian Airborne Regiment was disbanded on 1 September 1995. 2 Commando was re-integrated into the PPCLI as the Princess Patricia's Parachute Company in a ceremony on 25 September 1995.

Canada. Armed Forces. Canadian Airborne Regiment.

  • ppcli
  • Entidade coletiva
  • 1968-1995

The Canadian Airborne Regiment was established in 1968. It was organized into units of paratroopers from the three Canadian permanent infantry regiments. It was disbanded on 1 September 1995.

Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry Regimental Museum and Archives

  • ppcli
  • Entidade coletiva
  • 1953-

Soon after its repatriation to Canada in 1919, Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry (PPCLI) began to maintain a collection of its important artifacts and pictures in the custody of its Commanding Officer. In September 1953, the PPCLI Regimental Museum was established at Camp Wainwright, Alberta, and its official opening was on 13 May, 1954. The Museum's principal functions then were to preserve the traditions and history of the Regiment and contribute to the education of recruits. On 13 September 1953 the PPCLI Association was incorporated and took over the governance of the Museum. The Association, which was legally empowered to accept charitable donations, held the collection in trust for the Regiment and the people of Canada. The Regimental Adjutant acted as Curator of the Museum, assisted by serving members of the Regiment and volunteers from the Association. The Museum's operations were financially supported by the Hamilton Gault Memorial Fund, which was established by the Association. From Wainwright , the Museum followed the Regimental Home Station to Edmonton in 1957 and eventually to Currie Barracks in Calgary in 1968. In 1989 the Museum joined forces with three other regimental museums to form the Museum of the Regiments (later named The Military Museums) at 4520 Crowchild Trail SW in Calgary. In 1994 legal ownership of the collections was transferred to the Regiment. From 1996 to 2006 the Museum and Archives was managed by a civilian curator/archivist; subsequently, it was managed by a serving member of the Regiment appointed by the Regimental Adjutant.

Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry. Regimental Guard

  • ppcli
  • Entidade coletiva
  • 1977-

The Regimental Guard of Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry (PPCLI) was established in the fall of 1977, as a result of the development of a new regimental Constitution by the Regimental Executive Committee. The Guard held its first meeting on December 10, 1977. It consisted of senior officers, serving or retired, of the rank of Lieutenant-Colonel or higher, and a representative of the PPCLI Association. Its functions were to formulate the policies of the Regiment, develop and review long-range planning, and initiate special projects. It generally meets semi-annually.

Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry. Regimental Senate

  • ppcli
  • Entidade coletiva
  • 1977-2000

The Regimental Senate of Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry (PPCLI) was established as part of the 1977 revision of the regimental constitution. It consisted of PPCLI officers, active and retired, of the rank of Lieutenant-Colonel and higher; representatives of the PPCLI Association; and distinguished persons nominated by the Regimental Guard or the Regimental Senate. It was expected to meet at least annually, but was not required to record minutes. Its role was to provide advice to the Colonel of the Regiment. There is no evidence that the Senate ever actually met, and it became essentially an honorary body. It ceased to be active after 1986 but a nominal roll of its members was compiled at least as recently as 2000.

Bliss, Frederick

  • ppcli
  • Pessoa
  • b. 1901

Frederick Bliss was born in Toronto on 1 March 1901. He was apparently orphaned, and lied about his age in order to enlist in the 222nd Battalion at Winnipeg in 1915. For most of the First World War he served overseas with the 1st Canadian Mounted Rifles Battalion. He was discharged on 31 March 1919, and re-enlisted with Princess Patricia’s Canadian Light Infantry on 24 November 1920. By 1926 he was promoted to Sergeant. He was commissioned in 1942 and served in Canada with the 10 Ordnance Depot Company. He retired from military service in 1948 with the rank of Captain. He worked as a purchasing agent for a hospital in Victoria, B.C. in 1956-1966. He was still living in Victoria in 1985.

Resultados 71 a 80 de 511