Showing 44 results

Authority record
Corporate body

United Nations Iraq-Kuwait Observervation Mission. Canadian Contingent

  • PPCLI
  • Corporate body
  • 1991-2003

The United Nations Iraq-Kuwait Observation Mission (UNIKOM) was established by the UN Security Council at the end of the Gulf War on April 9, 1991. It was composed of unarmed infantry officers from 42 UN nations. Its purpose was to patrol the demilitarized zone along the Iraq-Kuwait border, deter border violations, and report any hostile action. In 1993 its role was extended to include a peacekeeping force of one infantry battalion from Bangladesh. Its mandate was completed on October 6, 2003. The Canadian contingent of the mission consisted of 4 officers, including Maj Joe Pollock and Capt Bill Lewis, who were Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry (PPCLI) members.

Royal Australian Regiment

  • ppcli
  • Corporate body
  • 1948-

The Royal Australia Regiment (RAR) is the parent administrative regiment for Australian infantry battalions. The Australian Regiment was formed in 1948 from amalgamation of three infantry battalions occupying post-war Japan. In 1949 it was given permission to use the Royal title. During the Korean War, the 3rd Battalion of RAR joined the 2nd Battalion of Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry (PPCLI) in stopping the advance of the Chinese Army at KapYong. Both units were awarded the U.S. Presidential Unit Citation. As a result of this shared experience, RAR and PPCLI are allied regiments. RAR has also seen active or peacekeeping service in Malaya, Borneo, Vietnam, Somalia, Cambodia, Rwanda, East Timor, Solomon Islands, Iraq, and Afghanistan. As of 2017 it consisted of six battalions.

Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry. Women's Auxiliary

  • ppcli
  • Corporate body
  • ca. 1919-ca. 1964

The Women's Auxiliary of the Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry Regimental Club of Toronto was formed in 1919 by a group of widows of men killed in action. Similar women's organizations formed in other cities. In Winnipeg and Victoria where PPCLI garrisons were located, the Women's Auxiliary revived in the late 1930s as an organization for wives of active servicemen. During the Second World War and the Korean War it was active in several cities and was involved in sending comforts to the men overseas. In 1963-1964 the Jubilee Wives' Club was organized to help commemorate the 50th anniversary of the Regiment, and in the 1970s and 1980s the 1PPCLI Wives' Club was active in Calgary. By 1987 it was also known as the P.P.C.L.I. Auxiliary Society. In 1989 it was known as the Patricia Wives Association.

Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry. Regimental Senate

  • ppcli
  • Corporate body
  • 1977-2000

The Regimental Senate of Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry (PPCLI) was established as part of the 1977 revision of the regimental constitution. It consisted of PPCLI officers, active and retired, of the rank of Lieutenant-Colonel and higher; representatives of the PPCLI Association; and distinguished persons nominated by the Regimental Guard or the Regimental Senate. It was expected to meet at least annually, but was not required to record minutes. Its role was to provide advice to the Colonel of the Regiment. There is no evidence that the Senate ever actually met, and it became essentially an honorary body. It ceased to be active after 1986 but a nominal roll of its members was compiled at least as recently as 2000.

Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry Regimental Museum and Archives

  • ppcli
  • Corporate body
  • 1953-

Soon after its repatriation to Canada in 1919, Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry (PPCLI) began to maintain a collection of its important artifacts and pictures in the custody of its Commanding Officer. In September 1953, the PPCLI Regimental Museum was established at Camp Wainwright, Alberta, and its official opening was on 13 May, 1954. The Museum's principal functions then were to preserve the traditions and history of the Regiment and contribute to the education of recruits. On 13 September 1953 the PPCLI Association was incorporated and took over the governance of the Museum. The Association, which was legally empowered to accept charitable donations, held the collection in trust for the Regiment and the people of Canada. The Regimental Adjutant acted as Curator of the Museum, assisted by serving members of the Regiment and volunteers from the Association. The Museum's operations were financially supported by the Hamilton Gault Memorial Fund, which was established by the Association. From Wainwright , the Museum followed the Regimental Home Station to Edmonton in 1957 and eventually to Currie Barracks in Calgary in 1968. In 1989 the Museum joined forces with three other regimental museums to form the Museum of the Regiments (later named The Military Museums) at 4520 Crowchild Trail SW in Calgary. In 1994 legal ownership of the collections was transferred to the Regiment. From 1996 to 2006 the Museum and Archives was managed by a civilian curator/archivist; subsequently, it was managed by a serving member of the Regiment appointed by the Regimental Adjutant.

Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry. Regimental Headquarters

  • ppcli
  • Corporate body
  • 1968-

In peacetime, Regimental Headquarters, known by its abbreviation RHQ, is the administrative branch of the Regiment. Since 1953 this unit has been staffed by the Regimental Major, the Regimental Adjutant, the Regimental Warrant Officer and any number of non-commissioned officer clerks who manage the Regiment's finances, special events and parades, visiting dignitaries, retirements, the Regimental Kit Shop, officer indoctrination, regimental publications including the Patrician, and the Regimental Museum and Archives. Regimental Headquarters functions as the secretariat for the Regiment's governing bodies, the Regimental Executive Committee (REC) and the Regimental Guard. It administers Exercise Ric-A-Dam-Doo, a biennial conference of PPCLI officers. The Regimental Kit Shop is a not for profit business which offers for sale accoutrements, memorabilia, books on Regimental history, special gear and Regimental clothing that is not provided to the soldiers by the Department of National Defence. Monies generated by the Kit Shop are transferred to the Hamilton Gault Memorial Fund where they are then distributed for charitable activities including the Regimental Museum and Archives and the Hamilton Gault Memorial Park. Following the First World War the Regiment was stationed at Stanley Barracks in Toronto and then moved to Long Branch Camp outside of the city. In 1920 the Regiment moved to Tecumseh Barracks in London, Ontario and then to Fort Osborne Barracks in Winnipeg, Manitoba. After the Second World War the Regiment spent seven months at Camp McDonald near Portage La Prairie before finally moving to Currie Barracks, Calgary, Alberta in 1946. In June 1953 the Regimental Depot was established at Currie Barracks and the Regimental Museum and the Kit Shop were established shortly thereafter as adjuncts to the Depot. The Depot acted as Regimental Headquarters, assuming responsibility for receiving, equipping and training men for both the First and Second Battalions. The Depot was also responsible for the administration and accounting of Regimental funds and property and other basic Regimental business. The Recruit Program comprised of 17 weeks of basic training and classes were on-going with new recruits graduating each year. In 11 January 1956 the Depot moved to Edmonton, first to the Prince of Wales Armouries and then moved again to a new base at Griesbach in Edmonton, which was renamed Hamilton Gault Barracks in honour of the Regimental Founder. As part of the unification of the Armed Forces, on 31 October 1968 the training function of the Depot was established as the Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry Battle School. The administrative function became Regimental Headquarters, established as a separate increment attached to the First Battalion located at a new Home Station at Currie Barracks in Calgary, Alberta. Regimental Headquarters remained at Currie Barracks until 1990 when it moved with the Kit Shop across the street to the Museum of the Regiments. In 1997 Regimental Headquarters along with the First and Third Battalions moved to a new Home Station at Edmonton Garrison, formerly known as Namao Air Force Base.

Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry. Regimental Guard. Statue Project

  • ppcli
  • Corporate body
  • 1988-1992

In 1988, Leslie Gault, nephew of BGen Hamilton Gault, the founder of Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry (PPCLI), approached the Regiment with the idea of erecting a heroic-size bronze statue of his uncle in the Parliamentary precinct of Ottawa. The Regimental Guard, at its meeting of 19 March, 1989, agreed that the project was a worthy one, and committed to its realization. A sculptor, Don Begg, was commissioned, and fundraising initiatives were undertaken. The project was coordinated by Col. J.D. Joly, and later by Col. G.A.P. Lachapelle. The statue was unveiled on May 9, 1992 at Confederation Square near the National War Memorial. Additional castings of it were erected at the Museum of the Regiments (later known as The Military Museums) in Calgary and at the Frezenberg Memorial near Ypres, Belgium. The project was considered completed on October 19, 1992 when its records were transferred to the Regimental Museum and Archives.

Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry. Regimental Guard

  • ppcli
  • Corporate body
  • 1977-

The Regimental Guard of Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry (PPCLI) was established in the fall of 1977, as a result of the development of a new regimental Constitution by the Regimental Executive Committee. The Guard held its first meeting on December 10, 1977. It consisted of senior officers, serving or retired, of the rank of Lieutenant-Colonel or higher, and a representative of the PPCLI Association. Its functions were to formulate the policies of the Regiment, develop and review long-range planning, and initiate special projects. It generally meets semi-annually.

Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry. Regimental Executive Committee

  • ppcli
  • Corporate body
  • 1952-

During the Korean War, Princess Patricia’s Canadian Light Infantry was divided into three Battalions, each with its own Commanding Officer (CO) who operated autonomously within the Canadian military hierarchy. It became necessary to develop an organizational structure to administer the non-public property of the regiment, and to administer functions of the entire regiment, such as the Regimental Depot (later, Regimental Headquarters), the Regimental Museum, ceremonial events, the yearbook The Patrician, appointment of Colonels-in-Chief and Colonels of the Regiment, and maintaining the history and traditions of the Regiment. In accordance with terms of reference set forth by Western Command, the Regimental Executive Committee (known as the REC) first met on 30 September, 1952. It then drafted its own constitution. It was composed of the three COs of the battalions and a non-voting Secretary-Treasurer. It was later expanded to include the Regimental Major, the Regimental Sergeant-Majors of the three battalions, and a representative of the PPCLI Association. It was later expanded again to include representatives of extra-regimentally employed (ERE) members of the Regiment.

Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry. Ladies' Auxiliary

  • ppcli
  • Corporate body
  • ca. 1919-ca. 1964

The Women's Auxiliary of the Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry Regimental Club of Toronto was formed in 1919 by a group of widows of men killed in action. Similar women's organizations formed in other cities. In Winnipeg and Victoria where PPCLI garrisons were located, the Women's Auxiliary revived in the late 1930s as an organization for wives of active servicemen. It was also known as the Ladies' Auxiliary. During the Second World War and the Korean War it was active in several cities and was involved in sending comforts to the men overseas. In 1963-1964 the Jubilee Wives' Club was organized to help commemorate the 50th anniversary of the Regiment, and in the 1970s and 1980s the 1PPCLI Wives' Club was active in Calgary. By 1987 it was also known as the P.P.C.L.I. Auxiliary Society. In 1989 it was known as the Patricia Wives Association

Results 1 to 10 of 44