- fl. 1940-2000
Lloyd Tucker was a sergeant in the 48th Highlanders of Canada. In 2000 he was a volunteer with the 48th Highlanders Museum in Toronto.
Lloyd Tucker was a sergeant in the 48th Highlanders of Canada. In 2000 he was a volunteer with the 48th Highlanders Museum in Toronto.
L 104095 Lorne L. Cosford joined the Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry 28 October 1944 as a Private. Promoted to Lance Corporal he was wounded 16 December 1944 in Italy. He was Struck Off Strength 17 June 1945 but re-enlisted with the Lord Strathcona's Horse (Royal Canadians) after the Second World War. In February 1947 he was a part of the Haines, Alaska Cut Off Expedition, which included 5 members of the Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry, to establish a supply transportation route from Whitehorse, Yukon through the Haines Cut Off Pass into Haines, Alaska. He died on December 2, 1988 and was survived by his wife Dagmar Cosford of Arborg, Manitoba.
Mike Levy, 1925-2007, was born in Bombay, India.and raised in Shanghai, China. At the onset of the Second World War he was interned at Lunghwa, a Japanese internment camp. In 1944 he escaped, joined the Special Operations Executive, a British commando group, and was engaged in guerrilla warfare in Malaya. After the war he settled in Vancouver, BC, married, and opened a restaurant. During the Korean War he was a Lieutenant commanding the 10th Platoon, D Company, Second Battalion, Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry in Korea, and participated in the Battle of KapYong, 24-25 April 1951. He remained with the PPCLI during peacetime assignments in Germany, Vietnam, Cyprus, and the United States, retiring with the rank of Major. He was married to Marjorie Levy, and they had four children, Michael Guy, Don Garry, Linda Gay, and Paul Garth.
In peacetime, Regimental Headquarters, known by its abbreviation RHQ, is the administrative branch of the Regiment. Since 1953 this unit has been staffed by the Regimental Major, the Regimental Adjutant, the Regimental Warrant Officer and any number of non-commissioned officer clerks who manage the Regiment's finances, special events and parades, visiting dignitaries, retirements, the Regimental Kit Shop, officer indoctrination, regimental publications including the Patrician, and the Regimental Museum and Archives. Regimental Headquarters functions as the secretariat for the Regiment's governing bodies, the Regimental Executive Committee (REC) and the Regimental Guard. It administers Exercise Ric-A-Dam-Doo, a biennial conference of PPCLI officers. The Regimental Kit Shop is a not for profit business which offers for sale accoutrements, memorabilia, books on Regimental history, special gear and Regimental clothing that is not provided to the soldiers by the Department of National Defence. Monies generated by the Kit Shop are transferred to the Hamilton Gault Memorial Fund where they are then distributed for charitable activities including the Regimental Museum and Archives and the Hamilton Gault Memorial Park. Following the First World War the Regiment was stationed at Stanley Barracks in Toronto and then moved to Long Branch Camp outside of the city. In 1920 the Regiment moved to Tecumseh Barracks in London, Ontario and then to Fort Osborne Barracks in Winnipeg, Manitoba. After the Second World War the Regiment spent seven months at Camp McDonald near Portage La Prairie before finally moving to Currie Barracks, Calgary, Alberta in 1946. In June 1953 the Regimental Depot was established at Currie Barracks and the Regimental Museum and the Kit Shop were established shortly thereafter as adjuncts to the Depot. The Depot acted as Regimental Headquarters, assuming responsibility for receiving, equipping and training men for both the First and Second Battalions. The Depot was also responsible for the administration and accounting of Regimental funds and property and other basic Regimental business. The Recruit Program comprised of 17 weeks of basic training and classes were on-going with new recruits graduating each year. In 11 January 1956 the Depot moved to Edmonton, first to the Prince of Wales Armouries and then moved again to a new base at Griesbach in Edmonton, which was renamed Hamilton Gault Barracks in honour of the Regimental Founder. As part of the unification of the Armed Forces, on 31 October 1968 the training function of the Depot was established as the Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry Battle School. The administrative function became Regimental Headquarters, established as a separate increment attached to the First Battalion located at a new Home Station at Currie Barracks in Calgary, Alberta. Regimental Headquarters remained at Currie Barracks until 1990 when it moved with the Kit Shop across the street to the Museum of the Regiments. In 1997 Regimental Headquarters along with the First and Third Battalions moved to a new Home Station at Edmonton Garrison, formerly known as Namao Air Force Base.
Born 15 June 1931, SH 877 Ralph Edward McArthur enlisted 20 October 1952 and joined the Second Battalion Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry 31 October 1952. He transferred to the First Battalion Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry 18 May 1953. Arriving in Korea 26 May 1953 he was transferred to the Third Battalion 15 June 1953 and then to Canadian Infantry Brigade Headquarters following the Ceasefire in July 1953. Upon returning to Canada in May 1954 he was attached to the First Battalion, Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry and attended the Canadian Army Jump Training Centre in Rivers Manitoba where he completed his jump course in September 1954. Transferred to the Royal Canadian Airforce 25 November 1954. Mr. McArthur died in 2000.
A12 461 129 Scott Gullion joined the Loyal Edmonton Regiment 2 July 1986 and served with the Third Battalion Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry in Croatia on ROTO 1 + 4, Operation Harmony in 1992/1993. He was on the Dz, Lz, E2 Course at Wainwright in July 1993 and was released from service 4 July 1995.
The 3rd Battalion of Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry, also known as 3PPCLI, 3 PPCLI, 3VP, and 3 VP, was formed 30 November 1950 as part of the Special Force raised for active service in Korea. The Battalion trained in Wainwright, Camp Borden and Ipperwash, Ontario. It provided reinforcements for both the 1st and 2nd Battalions during their tours in Korea before relieving the 1st Battalion in Korea 11 November 1952. The Battalion fought on "The Hook" and Hill 355 "Little Gibraltar" until ceasefire was read 27 July 1953. The Battalion then moved to Naenjong in the Demilitarized Zone and manned check points there until relieved by the Black Watch in October 1953. The 3rd Battalion was reduced to nil strength on January 8, 1954. It was reformed in April 1970 supplemented by members of the Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, many of whom rebadged with the Princess Patricia's after their regiment was reduced to one reserve battalion. The 3rd Battalion was presented Colours on 20 November 1971 by the Governor General of Canada and new Colours on March 9, 1993 by the Colonel-In-Chief, the Countess Mountbatten of Burma. The new Colours were presented in Pacrac, Croatia, the first time that a Canadian Unit was presented with consecrated Colours in an operational theatre during hostilities. The 3rd Battalion was stationed at Work Point Barracks, Esquimalt, British Columbia until 1994 when it moved to Chilliwack, British Columbia, then Griesbach Barracks, Edmonton and then finally to Edmonton Garrison (Namao) in 1997. It served 6 month Peacekeeping tours in Cyprus in 1970-1971, 1975-1976, 1980 and 1988 and in Croatia in 1992-1993. As part of NATO, A and B Companies served in Bosnia between January 1997 and January 1998 and on the United Nations Security Force (SFOR) between February and September 2000. As part of the Afghanistan War, members of the 3rd Battalion served in battle groups in Kandahar and Helmand provinces and in the city of Kabul from 2002 until 2014.
Vince W. Kennedy, b. 3 October 1948, joined the Royal Winnipeg Rifles (Canadian Militia) in 1964 and enlisted with the Regular Army in 1967. He attended Royal Roads Military College in Victoria, British Columbia and the Royal Military College in Kingston, Ontario, graduating in 1971 with a Bachelor Degree in International Studies. He was commissioned into the Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry in 1971 and served as a subaltern in the Third Battalion in Esquimalt, British Columbia. From there he was posted to #3 Canadian Mechanized Commando in Germany and served as the Adjutant, now a Captain, at the Infantry School, Combat Training Centre, Gagetown, New Brunswick in 1978. He also attended the Canadian Land Forces Command Staff College in Kingston and the British Combat Team Commander's Course in the United Kingdom. Promoted to Lieutenant Colonel in 1979 he took command of A Company, Third Battalion, Royal Green Jackets in Oakington, UK where he was promoted to Major and went to Cyprus in 1980 as part of the British contingent in UNFICYP (United Nations Forces in Cyprus). He returned to Canada in 1981 and the Canadian Forces Command Staff College in Toronto. In 1982 he commanded B Company, Second Battalion, Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry and went with the Battalion to Cyprus in 1982 until 1983 when he was transferred to Admin Company. When the Second Battalion left for Germany in 1984 Major Kennedy organized the Farewell to Winnipeg Tattoo. He was promoted to Lieutenant Colonel in 1985 and assumed the duties of Senior Staff Officer Individual Training at Mobile Command Headquarters. Lieutenant Colonel Kennedy was then posted to Army Staff College at Frontenac, Kingston in 1986 as a member of the Directing Staff until 15 July 1987, when he took command of the First Battalion, Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry until 16 August 1989 at the end of the 75th Anniversary National Reunion of the PPCLI. Lt. Col. Kennedy then went "under" to the Australian Army Command and Staff College, Fort Queenscliffe, Victoria, as a member of the Directing Staff until January 1991, when he attended the Joint Services Staff College in Canberra, Australia, and earned a Graduate Diploma in Strategic Studies. He returned to Canada in July 1991 to take up the duties of Senior Staff Officer Operations and Plans at Mobile Command Headquarters during a hectic time in army force generation for Croatia, Bosnia, Cambodia and Somalia. He was promoted to Colonel in January 1993 and posted as Chief of Staff, 1st Canadian Division Headquarters. After 3½ years of active training and contingency work there, he proceeded as a student to the US Army War College, Carlisle, PA. He took up the position as Chief of Staff, Canadian Forces College Toronto, upon return to Canada in 1997. He was promoted to Brigadier-General and took up his duties in Ottawa in 2000. In 2003, after 38 years of service, BGen Kennedy retired and continued to live in Ontario with his wife Wendy. He continued to be involved in the PPCLI regimental family, as a member of the Regimental Guard and the PPCLI Association.
Walter Mackay Langdale Draycot (who sometimes spelled his surname Draycott) was born 24 Feb 1883 in Leicester England. He served with the King's Royal Rifles in South Africa (Boer War) as a Sergeant. He emigrated to Canada in 1907, settling in Fort William, Ontario. He moved to Vancouver in 1911 and then settled in Lynn Valley, British Columbia in 1912. An "Original", he joined the Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry as a Private in England in December 1914 as a topographist but was assigned regimental number 883 and sent to France 20 December 1914. He became the regimental barber and map maker. He was Mentioned In Dispatches in Oct 1916 and promoted to Acting Corporal. He was also employed as the topographer for the 7th Canadian Infantry Brigade in April 1917 and was in charge of the Brigade Intelligence Department for a short time. He was with the Regiment at the Battle of Vimy Ridge in April 1917 and provided the Regiment with detailed maps of the Ridge. He was gassed in May 1917 and Struck Off Strength from the Regiment 16 May 1917. He was discharged from the Canadian Army in November 1918. He returned to Lynn Valley in 1918, and published his first history of that community the following year. He served as Justice of the Peace from 1923 to 1975 and was a school trustee for three years in the 1920s. He was a feature writer for the North Vancouver and Vancouver newspapers on an irregular basis, particularly in the 1920s and 1930s, and an occasional contributor to scientific journals. He was employed by the Geological Survey of Canada for various months from 1949 to 1952. In 1972, he opened the first North Shore Museum and Archives building. His second history of the Lynn Valley, "Early Days in the Lynn Valley", was printed in 1978. Walter Draycot died 22 October 1985 at the age of 102. In 1986 a statue of him was unveiled at the opening of Lynn Valley Pioneer Park at the intersection of Lynn Valley Road and Mountain Highway in North Vancouver. In 1999 the Vancouver Branch of the Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry Association erected a plaque in Draycot's honour and the plaque was dedicated by the Countess Mountbatten of Burma, Lady Patricia Brabourne, Colonel-In-Chief of the Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry.
SK100519 William E. Butler served in Korea with the Royal Canadian Regiment from 1951 to 1953 and rebadged to the Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry following the War. He served with the First Battalion Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry in Germany, 1955 to 1957, in Victoria from 1958 to 1963 as a Recruit Instructor and in Edmonton as Manager of the Corporal's Mess from 1966 to 1968. He passed away 28 January 1996.