Title and statement of responsibility area
Loyal Edmonton Regiment collection
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Loyal Edmonton Regiment
Physical description area
1 cm of textual records. - 1 poster
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Loyal Edmonton Regiment, originally the 49th Battalion of the Canadian Expeditionary Force, was formed in Edmonton for overseas service on 4 January 1915 under command of LCol W.A. Griesbach. Following World War I, the 49th Battalion was disbanded. On 22 March 1920 the First Battalion, The Edmonton Regiment was formed as part of the Non-Permanent Active Militia and it perpetuated the 49th Battalion. At the outbreak of World War II, The Edmonton Regiment mobilized an active service battalion as a unit of the 1st Canadian Division which fought alongside PPCLI in the 2nd Infantry Brigade. In July 1943 the Regiment was honoured by being renamed the Loyal Edmonton Regiment. It was nicknamed the "Loyal Eddies". Throughout the war, the Regiment maintained a second reserve battalion in Edmonton, and for a short period in 1945, raised a third battalion for the Pacific Force. During the two World Wars, the regiment fought in the same brigade as Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry, and they established a close relationship. The Loyal Edmonton Regiment was affiliated with Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry as its 3rd Battalion, in accordance with the 1954 Canadian Army policy to affiliate Militia regiments with Regular Force regiments. In the general announcement made on 19 September 1969 advising that the 1st Battalion Queen's Own Rifles of Canada would be designated the 3rd Battalion, the Loyal Edmonton Regiment was re-designated as the 4th Battalion of PPCLI.
Scope and content
The collection consists of the Loyal Edmonton Regiment's war diary for May-September 1944; a poster commemorating its 75th anniversary (1990); a recruiting brochure (ca. 2000); information on the naming of geographical features of the Edmonton housing development Village at Griesbach; and programs for regimental parades (2007, 2008).
Immediate source of acquisition
Collected and transferred from PPCLI Regimental Headquarters, 2002-2015
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
No restrictions on access.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
No finding aid.
The PPCLI Archives library collection includes The Fortyniner, the yearbook of the Loyal Edmonton Regiment, 1915-1965 (complete) and 1999-2015 (scattered issues). The Loyal Edmonton Regiment operates its own museum and archives at the Prince of Wales Armouries Historical Centre in Edmonton.
Accruals are expected.