Zone du titre et de la mention de responsabilité
Loyal Edmonton Regiment collection
Dénomination générale des documents
Compléments du titre
Mentions de responsabilité du titre
Notes du titre
Niveau de description
Zone de l'édition
Mentions de responsabilité relatives à l'édition
Zone des précisions relatives à la catégorie de documents
Mention d'échelle (cartographique)
Mention de projection (cartographique)
Mention des coordonnées (cartographiques)
Mention d'échelle (architecturale)
Juridiction responsable et dénomination (philatélique)
Zone des dates de production
- Loyal Edmonton Regiment
Zone de description matérielle
1 cm of textual records. - 1 poster
Zone de la collection
Titre propre de la collection
Titres parallèles de la collection
Compléments du titre de la collection
Mention de responsabilité relative à la collection
Numérotation à l'intérieur de la collection
Note sur la collection
Zone de la description archivistique
Nom du producteur
The Loyal Edmonton Regiment, originally the 49th Battalion of the Canadian Expeditionary Force, was formed in Edmonton for overseas service on 4 January 1915 under command of LCol W.A. Griesbach. Following World War I, the 49th Battalion was disbanded. On 22 March 1920 the First Battalion, The Edmonton Regiment was formed as part of the Non-Permanent Active Militia and it perpetuated the 49th Battalion. At the outbreak of World War II, The Edmonton Regiment mobilized an active service battalion as a unit of the 1st Canadian Division which fought alongside PPCLI in the 2nd Infantry Brigade. In July 1943 the Regiment was honoured by being renamed the Loyal Edmonton Regiment. It was nicknamed the "Loyal Eddies". Throughout the war, the Regiment maintained a second reserve battalion in Edmonton, and for a short period in 1945, raised a third battalion for the Pacific Force. During the two World Wars, the regiment fought in the same brigade as Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry, and they established a close relationship. The Loyal Edmonton Regiment was affiliated with Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry as its 3rd Battalion, in accordance with the 1954 Canadian Army policy to affiliate Militia regiments with Regular Force regiments. In the general announcement made on 19 September 1969 advising that the 1st Battalion Queen's Own Rifles of Canada would be designated the 3rd Battalion, the Loyal Edmonton Regiment was re-designated as the 4th Battalion of PPCLI.
Historique de la conservation
Portée et contenu
The collection consists of the Loyal Edmonton Regiment's war diary for May-September 1944; a poster commemorating its 75th anniversary (1990); a recruiting brochure (ca. 2000); information on the naming of geographical features of the Edmonton housing development Village at Griesbach; and programs for regimental parades (2007, 2008).
Zone des notes
État de conservation
Source immédiate d'acquisition
Collected and transferred from PPCLI Regimental Headquarters, 2002-2015
Langue des documents
Écriture des documents
Localisation des originaux
Disponibilité d'autres formats
No restrictions on access.
Délais d'utilisation, de reproduction et de publication
Instruments de recherche
No finding aid.
The PPCLI Archives library collection includes The Fortyniner, the yearbook of the Loyal Edmonton Regiment, 1915-1965 (complete) and 1999-2015 (scattered issues). The Loyal Edmonton Regiment operates its own museum and archives at the Prince of Wales Armouries Historical Centre in Edmonton.
Accruals are expected.