Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

1914-

History

Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry (PPCLI) was raised in Ottawa in August 1914 as the result of an offer by Captain A. Hamilton Gault to provide $100,000.00 to finance and equip a regiment for overseas service. It was named after Princess Patricia, granddaughter of Queen Victoria and daughter of the Duke of Connaught, then Governor-General of Canada. PPCLI has been a Canadian permanent force regiment since its founding. Since 1920 it has been based in various locations in western Canada. It participated in two World Wars, the Korean War, the War in Afghanistan, civic crises, Cold War era defence and numerous peacekeeping missions all over the world. During the Korean War the Regiment was increased to 3 Battalions and then cut back to 2 Battalions in 1954. In 1970 it was again increased to 3 Battalions. In the 1990s the three Battalions were based in Edmonton, Alberta and CFB Shilo, Manitoba.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Subject access points

Place access points

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

ppcli

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC

Related subjects

Related places