Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

1914-

History

The Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry (PPCLI) was raised in Ottawa in August 1914 as the result of an offer by Captain A. Hamilton Gault to provide $100,000.00 to finance and equip a regiment for overseas service. It was named in honour of Princess Patricia, granddaughter of Queen Victoria and daughter of the Duke of Connaught, then the Governor-General of Canada. PPCLI has been a Canadian permanent force regiment since 1914. It has participated in two World Wars, the Korean War, the War in Afghanistan, civic crises, Cold War defence and numerous peacekeeping missions all over the world. During the Korean War the regiment was increased to three battalions and then cut back to two battalions in 1954. In 1970 it was again increased to three battalions. Since 1919 it has been based in locations in western Canada. In the 2010s the three battalions were located in Edmonton and CFB Shilo, Manitoba.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

ppcli

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC