Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry Regimental Museum

Identity area

Type of entity

Authorized form of name

Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry Regimental Museum

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

History

In September 1953, the Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry (PPCLI) Regimental Museum was established in Wainwright, Alberta in conjunction with the Regimental Depot. Its mandate is to collect, conserve, interpret and exhibit artifacts and archival documents to preserve the traditions and history of the Regiment and to honour the memory of those who have served with the Regiment. From Wainwright the Museum followed the Regiment to Edmonton in 1957 and eventually to Currie Barracks in Calgary in 1968. In 1990 The PPCLI joined ranks with The Lord Strathcona's Horse (RC), The Calgary Highlanders and The King's Own Calgary Regiment to form the Museum of the Regiments, the largest military museum in Western Canada. The Museum of the Regiments was officially opened by Queen Elizabeth in 30 June 1990. After the Korean War, on 13 September 1953, the PPCLI Association was incorporated and took over governance of the PPCLI Regimental Museum and Archives. The PPCLI Associatin holds the Museum and Archives collection in trust for the Regiment and the people of Canada. Since incorporation, officers of the PPCLI Association have worked in concert with Regimental Headquarters (RHQ), the administrative branch of the Regiment, to oversee archival acquisitions and set operational policies and procedures. The PPCLI Association provides charitable status and governance to the Regimental Museum and Archives under the guidance and supervision of the Regimental Executive Committee and the PPCLI Museum Committee. The day to day operation of the Museum and Archives is the responsibility of the civilian Curator and the museum staff under the direction of the Director, who is also the current Regimental Major. The Regimental Adjutant acted as the Museum Curator until 1994 and then became the Secretary/ Treasurer for the Hamilton Gault Memorial Fund which is the charitable fund that supports the Museum and Archives. In 1994 a qualified civilian Curator/Archivist was hired to supervise on-going work in the Museum and Archives. Retired veterans make up the remaining Museum Board of Governors and serving members provide support staff. The Association manages the Hamilton Gault Memorial Fund and provides the legal umbrella for all charitable activities within the Regiment, including the Museum and Archives;The Directorate of History and Heritage (DHH) provides for, administers and maintains the Canadian Forces museum system and policies for the Canadian Forces (CF). The CF museum system is the collective term for the grouping of CF museums under the supervision of the Staff Officer, Museums and Historical Collections (DHH 5). As an accredited CF museum, the Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry Regimental Museum is an independent, self-financed, non-public fund (NPF) institution operating under the authority and direction of the Commanding Officer.Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry Regimental Museum volunteers are retired veterans who act as Gallery Hosts and assist with research and exhibit development. Each year the Regiment hosts a luncheon in appreciation of their commitment to the Museum.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC